Wow! I think We've made it through one of the roughest times of our entire lives!!!!
After two months of us walking the floors all day with a FUSSY baby and hopping out of bed to get a SLEEPY/GROUCHY baby back to sleep every one to two hours at night, we can definitely add ourselves to the list of parents who have weathered a 'colicky' baby. Only those who have experienced it TRULY understand what it is like. I remember about three months ago, while I was very pregnant and very excited for William to come, I was helping out at a doctors office when this lady came in with her newborn of about two weeks. She told me that she had a colicky baby who was up all night every night. I remember saying, oh I'm sorry... with a little frown, feeling mildly sorry for her, but silently thinking... poor thing... my baby is going to behave so much better, he's going to be a little angel....
I still think William is a little angel, but I'm pretty sure that he's an angel that is NOT happy about being on earth. This life brings many difficulties for little babies, including tummy aches, fatigue, and not being able to communicate needs with inexperienced parents... poor thing.
But after predictable 2:00, 4:00 and 5:00 a.m. wakings, 2-3 hour scream fests at night and mornings, working for an hour or two to put him down for a nap only to find he wakes up 10 minutes after he's put down, and feedings every 30 minutes to an hour... I think I've finally figured William out and he is
starting to appreciate what this world has to offer. (I think his new ability to find and suck on his fist is one of his proudest accomplishments along with sticking out his tongue to make us stick out ours). All those coos, smiles, and feeling like he finally recognizes me make the last two months seem TOTALLY WORTH IT!!
 |
| William's 2nd day of life posing for pictures in a basket (this was before the storm of colic) |
 |
| We found out that the best way to help William sleep for longer than 10 minutes was to surround him with blankets. |
 |
| William with Grandma Alvord at two weeks old |
 |
| Trying to make William feel comfortable in the swing. He was way too little for it! |
 |
| Thomas is so effective at putting William to sleep that he puts himself to sleep too! |
 |
| Another late night with the baby. We were tuckered out! |
 |
| William is knocked out after a long day of fussing... I would be tired too! |
 |
| William has found his fist!!! The mittens are so he doesn't scratch himself. |
 |
| William's favorite toy! What a life save... I'm finally able to set him down for a little. |
1 comment:
I am glad that you are still alive! Now I just wish I could see that little boy on person.
Post a Comment