Sunday, July 31, 2011

Adventures of a new mother

Wow!  No one told me that newborns are so much work!!  It's incredible how often they want to eat or how many messy diapers they have.  Not to mention those fussy periods where you can't for the life of you figure out what the matter is!  The first time William was upset about something and I couldn't figure out what was wrong he just kept crying and crying.  I couldn't handle it and started crying myself... silly I know.  I just hated seeing him so upset and not being able to do anything.
Although William is a lot of work, I can't help but be so in love with the little guy.  That doesn't mean that it's easy though.  I didn't realize that being a mother really takes some adjusting to.  I had a hard time adjusting to being married, but I think this tops it.  Suddenly William's needs take precedence over my own (oh!  The baby is hungry... my lunch time just got cut short!) and you really give up a lot of freedom.  I also find myself worrying 24/7 about William... no breaks!  (He hasn't made a peep in 2 hours!  Is he still alive?!)  My mom said to me this week, "having a baby makes you overcome your selfishness.  My mom told me when I had you, 'don't worry Sue I was really selfish until I had my first baby.'"  I guess there's hope for selfish people like me to be able to overcome our weaknesses.  It's a good thing that all this work and this new role I'm taking on is REALLY rewarding.  I didn't know you could love somebody so much!

William keeping us up at night.  Sometimes the only way he will sleep is if he is being held!
Burping/Putting William to sleep
The Little One That Follows Me

A careful woman, I ought to be:
a little one follows me.
I do not dare to go astray,
for fear they'll go, the self-same way.

I cannot once escape their eyes,
whatever they see me do, they'll try.
Like me, they say, they're going to be,
that little one that follows me.

They think that I am good and fine;
believe in every work of mine.
The bad in me they must not see;
my life to them, must, an example be.

I must remember, as I go,
through summer's sun and winter's snow,
I'm building for the years to be,
for that little one that follows me.

3 comments:

Tyson & Gina said...

I thought I commented on your last post but it's not there. Maybe I forgot to finish submitting it. Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS!!! William is so handsome and perfect and you look amazing! Good luck with all the adjusting, it will happen I promise. You'll be a wonderful mom! William is so lucky!

meri lino said...

che escribi en castellano que no te entendemos ja ja un abrazo hermoso willy besos y abrazos

rjaynee said...

Melanie!!! seriously he is the cutest little boy I have ever seen! he is just perfect! I cannot wait for maybe the chance to meet William! congrats to your little family, you will such a great mommma!!